Laboratory school Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_school
Former laboratory school at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, with one-way mirrors in the upper-level observation deck, allowing professors to view the classroom
The same room, showing observation room with a one-way mirror to the right of the classroom
A laboratory school or demonstration school is an elementary or secondary school operated in association with a university, college, or other teacher education institution and used for the training of future teachers, educational experimentation, educational research, and professional development.
Many laboratory schools follow a modelexperiential education based on the original Laboratory School run by John Dewey at the University of Chicago. Many laboratory schools still operate in the United States and around the globe. They are known by many names: laboratory schools, demonstration schools, campus schools, model schools, university-affiliated schools, child development schools, etc., and most have a connection to a college or university. Each university-affiliated school has a unique relationship with a college or university and a different grade configuration. Some lab schools are only for preschool or kindergarten children, some are preschool through fifth or sixth grade, and some continue through high school.
Khan Lab School in Silicon Valley is one of the few laboratory schools not affiliated with a college or university. It is affiliated with Khan Academy, a non-profit educational organization. The school's experimentation with abolishing grade levels was featured on Voice of America in 2016.
Laboratory school classrooms may be observed by university professors to assess the student-teacher, but this is conducted without the students or student-teachers aware of the observation. The observers want to avoid creating a distraction or disrupting classroom activities. Before the miniaturization of electronic camera viewing systems, laboratory schools often included elaborate direct-view observation systems with special observation decks above classrooms or observation rooms alongside the classrooms. One-way mirrors and speaker/intercom systems allowed a professor to silently observe the classroom, but without being seen by the students or the student-teacher.
A modern laboratory school is able to use a standard-design school as a laboratory school. The standard rooms are outfitted with CCTV cameras hidden inside black plastic domes on the ceiling. Complex lens optics and multiple cameras allow a single stationary dome to view 360 degrees, with no mechanical noises or moving parts. High-speed Internet connections allow for a professor at a college to remotely view and interact with student-teachers in a distant laboratory school.
In either case students or student-teachers know that observation may occur, but they do not know when such observation takes place.
- University High School (San Juan), a laboratory school in San Juan, Puerto Rico administered by the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras
- Shirley G. Moore Laboratory School (Minneapolis), a laboratory school in Minneapolis, MN administered by the University of Minnesota
- Burris Laboratory School – a public K-12 school run by Ball State University Teachers College
- Children's Campus - A Center for Early Care and Education, run by San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
- UCLA Lab School – affiliated with UCLA
- Model Laboratory School – a semi-private laboratory school located on the campus of Eastern Kentucky University, in Richmond, Kentucky
- Education Laboratory School – a charter school in Honolulu, Hawai‘i, serving grades K-12
- Lab School of Washington – a school for students with learning difficulties
- Lab School Paris – first laboratory school in France, opened in 2017, for students aged 8-12, bilingual (French-English), associated to the Lab School Network.
- Fanny Edel Falk Laboratory School – a private, co-educational K-8 laboratory school on the University of Pittsburgh campus in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- University of Chicago Laboratory Schools – a private, co-educational day school in Chicago, Illinois. The original laboratory school as founded by John Dewey.
- Thomas Metcalf Laboratory School (Elementary) & University High School (High School) (Normal, IL)- the first laboratory school in the United States  administered by Illinois State University
- Model Secondary School for the Deaf and Kendall Demonstration Elementary School – federally funded demonstration schools for deaf education, operated by and located at Gallaudet University. MSSD is a day and residential high school for grades 9 to 12. KDES is a day school for infants through grade 8.
- University Laboratory High School (Urbana, Illinois) – a laboratory school on the University of Illinois campus in Urbana, Illinois
- A.E. Phillips Laboratory School (Ruston, Louisiana) – a K-8 laboratory school on the Louisiana Tech University campus in Ruston, Louisiana
- Northern University High School – a small public high school in Cedar Falls, Iowa that is run by the University of Northern Iowa. (Closed 2012)
- Greenwood Laboratory School – a comprehensive K-12 laboratory school affiliated with, and located on the campus of, Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri
- The Henry Barnard Laboratory School — a private elementary school founded in 1898, currently affiliated with the Feinstein School of Education and Human Development, located on the campus of Rhode Island College in Providence, Rhode Island, USA
- Laborschule Bielefeld – a laboratory school located in the city of Bielefeld, Germany
- Jordanhill School – an independent state co-educational day school in Glasgow, Scotland
- Kilby Laboratory School- University of North Alabama in Florence, Alabama
- Institute of Child Study - an independent nursery to Grade 6 day school affiliated with the University of Toronto
- University of Toronto Schools – an independent co-educational day school affiliated with the University of Toronto.
- The School at Columbia University – an independent K-8 co-educational school affiliated with Columbia University.
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines Laboratory High School – a laboratory school, serving Grades 7-12, that is affiliated and run by the Polytechnic University of the Philippines in the city of Manila, Philippines
- P.K. Yonge Developmental Research School – a public K-12 laboratory school affiliated with the University of Florida College of Education
- University of Santo Tomas Education High School – a laboratory school, serving Grades 7-12, that is affiliated and run by the University of Santo Tomas College of Education in the city of Manila, Philippines
- Louisiana State University Laboratory School – a college preparatory public school serving grades k-12 and located on the Louisiana State University campus in Baton Rouge, LA
- Florida State University School (FSUS) is a laboratory school affiliated with Florida State University. Despite its common moniker, "Florida High", FSUS is sponsored by Florida State University's College of Education.
- Khan Lab School – a nonprofit lab school in Mountain View, California, associated with Khan Academy.
- The Academy for Global Citizenship – a public K-8 charter school and nonprofit organization in Chicago, IL, USA that is piloting innovations in public education with a focus on whole-child wellness, environmental stewardship Dual Language immersion, and Global Citizenship.
- North Sydney Demonstration School is a primary school in Waverton, New South Wales, Australia, run in partnership with the University of Sydney.
- University of Delaware Laboratory School is a university-based laboratory preschool in Newark, DE, and is affiliated with the University of Delaware.
- Campus School is a university-based laboratory preschool in Northampton, MA, and is affiliated with Smith College.
- TVU Laboratory School is a multi-level public school located at Campus 4 of Tra Vinh University, Tra Vinh Province, Vietnam. It serves nursery, kindergarten and Grades 1-12. It is affiliated with Tra Vinh University and Tra Vinh Department of Education and Training. There are high school classes for the gifted in this school.
- Mills College Children's School is a private K-5 school on the Mills College campus in Oakland, CA. It is the first laboratory school founded on the West Coast of the U.S.
- MUW Child and Parent Development Center is a private laboratory school on the Mississippi University for Women Campus. It was founded in 1929.
- Arlitt Child Development Center, a laboratory preschool in the School of Education at the University of Cincinnati.
- The Foundations School, www.cceflorida.org a K-3 independent demonstration school operated by the Center for Creative Education non-profit located in West Palm Beach, Florida.