This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2020)
|Kwai Tsing District|
|• District Council Chairman||Lo Yuen-Ting|
|• District Council Vice-Chairman||Chan Chi-Wing|
|• Total||21.82 km2 (8.42 sq mi)|
|• Density||24,000/km2 (62,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (Hong Kong Time)|
|Largest neighbourhood by population||Kwai Chung (167,455 – 2016 est)|
|Website||Kwai Tsing District Council|
|Kwai Tsing District|
|Jyutping||Kwai4 Cing1 Keoi1|
Kwai Tsing is one of the 18 districts of Hong Kong. It consists of two parts - Kwai Chung and Tsing Yi Island. Kwai Tsing is part of the New Territories. It had a population of 520,572 in 2016. The district has the third least educated residents and their income is below average.
Kwai Tsing did not exist as a standalone district when Hong Kong's District Boards were formed in the early 1980s. It remained as a part of Tsuen Wan district until 1985. The newly created district was known as Kwai Chung and Tsing Yi District (葵涌及青衣區) until 1988, when its name was shortened to Kwai Tsing District.
The internationally famous container terminals can be found within the district, along the shores of Rambler Channel between Kwai Chung and Tsing Yi Island. The Tsing Ma Bridge, leading to the Hong Kong International Airport through the North Lantau Highway, starts at the northwestern end of Tsing Yi Island.
Over 75% of the district residents live in public housing.
In 1669, the Qing dynasty forced the people in Hong Kong and the coastal regions such as Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian, etc., to move to the inland areas of mainland China. After this move inland policy ceased, a large number of Hakka people from the Huayang region of Guangdong province, as well as the Hakka districts of Fujian province, moved to what is now Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Traditionally, Kwai Tsing District has been a Hakka speaking region; the original inhabitants of the villages in this area were mainly of Hakka extraction.
Kwai Tsing District borders in the north and west with Tsuen Wan District, east with Sha Tin District, southeast with Sham Shui Po District and Yau Tsim Mong District (marine), south with Central and Western District (marine), and southwest with Islands District (marine liners and similar).
The district is part of Tsuen Wan New Town. Unlike other new towns in Hong Kong, the district has no clear town core in the course of development. Cores emerge only after Metroplaza in Kwai Fong and Maritime Square in Tsing Yi was built, but they are still incomparable to their counterparts in other new towns in Hong Kong.
Industry is an integral part of the district. Both light and heavy industries share substantial land in the district.
Like other early new towns of Hong Kong, the district was primary for settling the influx of Chinese population around the year of the change of sovereignty in China in 1949 and the baby boom afterwards. Public housing estates were built throughout the district. Many schools have been established by various charities and religious organisations. Some have provided vocational training for industries in Hong Kong while some have become liberal schools. As the community has aged, the number of school children declined after the 2000s, and schools are facing survival problems.
Secondary schools in 2006: