|• Total||91.95 km2 (35.50 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||(+36) 96|
|Distance from Budapest||155 km (96 mi) East|
Jews first settled in the town in the second half of the 18th century, at the invitation of the estate owner, count Eszterhazy. The majority were engaged in commerce, while there were some industrialists. The community was organized in 1853. the synagogue was built in 1854 and enlarged in 1884. because of differences between haredim and maskilim (reformer) at the Jewish congress in 1868, the community affiliated with the orthodox stream (which refused to accept the decisions of congress). In 1885 land was obtained for a cemetery and a Khevra Kadisha was established. There were also a school, Talmud Torah and charitable institutions.
In 1930 the community numbered 795 Jews.
In 1941 Jewish males were conscripted for forced labour (work on fortifications and in services together with other Hungarian citizens whom the authorities would not permit to join the armed forces).
In May 1944 a ghetto was set up in Csorna, in which the Jews from the surrounding area were also confined. They were sent on foot and in carts, often for long distances. On 18 June they were all sent to the ghetto in Sopron, and on 5 July they were transported to Auschwitz.
In April 1945 Jewish workers from a forced labour unit at the extermination camp at Balf were brought to the municipal hospital in csorna. They were wounded, having been shot by members of the S.S. and men of Szalasi's "Arrow Cross" fascist party. They all died and were buried in the Jewish cemetery.
After the war, some tens of survivors returned who renewed communal life. In 1955 there were 70 Jews in the area, including 22 children born after the war.